It's Christmas, you say?

The only word I can use to describe this year is...whirlwind.  I plan to take some time to reflect properly on 2011, but in the meantime, I feel like I've missed out on enough of this year by waiting for what's next, and I'll be darned if I'm going to miss my favorite holiday.

Eric mentioned to me today that Christmas is really starting to set in for him.  My response to him was basically, "I'm jealous."  Maybe I can blame it on the fact that I've fallen asleep by 9:00 more times this month than I care to count.  Perhaps it's the fact that I finished all of my Christmas shopping early and did a lot online, missing out on the holiday crowds and all of the tinseled stores.  Most likely, it's the fact that I've become some kind of constant doer, devoted to crossing off to-do lists and keeping myself busy every waking minute.

This month in review...

We decorated the tree with all of the traditional ornaments, along with this little cutie Eric and I picked out together last year at Crate & Barrel.


We have a mantel!  And a fireplace to cozy up to and hang our stockings.  I took a cue downright stole this banner idea from Mandy to liven things up a bit on the mirror front.























I took a little time, between all of the rushing to go home for my family's Christmas last weekend, to make some chocolate spoons for an exchange we had.  Actually, minus the mug I gave, I made the whole gift (including the bag) and was pretty stinkin' proud of the result.


Throw in two Christmas parties with 20+ people hosted at our house, and it's no wonder December has passed me by.  Actually, of everything that has gone on, my favorite memory from this month is a simple one. I took a moment to sit and rest in the new glider for the nursery (which was graciously and lovingly given to us for Christmas by Eric's grandma).  I sat down with How the Grinch Stole Christmas, my absolute favorite book growing up (which was graciously and lovingly passed down for Christmas by my "Mimi"); Eric came in and joined me, and although we know the baby shouldn't be able to hear us yet, we read to it.  Man, do we love us some baby.

So I'm taking a cue from this moment over the next few days.  Less doing, more resting...resting in the true reason for the season and taking some time to just express my thanks for God's grace and love; resting with my husband and taking some time to ourselves to hang out together, maybe play a little Xbox Kinect (graciously and lovingly given to us for Christmas by my parents...yes, we've been spoiled rotten this year), and definitely watching a little Elf, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone and A Muppet Christmas Carol.

...and maybe, just maybe, I'll finally reconnect with a little lost friend of mine, the old blog.  After all, it is about time I start documenting this pregnancy.

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 22, 2011 and is filed under ,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

2 Responses to “It's Christmas, you say?”

  1. Oh my. I need to make those spoons...what a great gift idea! Merry Christmas!

    www.themrslovesclothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...you're back - YAY.

    ReplyDelete