letters to lucy: 4 months



My dear, sweet Lucy,

I know I say this every month, but I cannot believe another month has come and gone.  You are a third of a year old and I feel like, at the rate you're going, I should start planning your first birthday now before it really creeps up on me.  I held a 2 1/2 month old baby today, and the feeling of holding a baby without neck control already feels strange to me.  On the other hand, I still find myself surprised when I see how much larger other babies your age are; you are a petite little thing, still very solidly in 0-3 month clothes with room to grow.

Your fourth month of life was a big one, with lots of new milestones.  My favorite new milestone is your giggle.  You really make us work for it, but you especially love when I touch your feet to your cheeks and when I hop toward you while Daddy holds you facing out.  The first time you laughed, we were getting ready to walk in a parade with you at the Bluffton Street Fair.  I was bouncing you up and down, and Daddy and I both heard what can only be described as a chortle.  With both of us working full time, I feel incredibly blessed that both of us were there to witness it together.

You definitely have a mind of your own; you are a chatterbox (always making your opinion known) and the baby of a thousand faces.  It's funny how I feel like I can get a grasp of what you're trying to tell me when you babble (nonstop), based on the face that accompanies your "words".  You've got the eyebrow and the skeptical side glance mastered, you have the ability to turn on the biggest pouty lip I've ever seen, but you're also more than willing to give out huge one-toothed grins.

Daddy and Mama love to wake you up together in the morning.  The AM is definitely your time of day, and the biggest smile comes when you hear, "Good morning, sweetheart!"  We still bathe you together most nights, too.  I realize how special this time is, with just the three of us.  Never again will we have a baby to which we can devote all of our love and attention.

I cling to what I know is ultimately the short amount of time we have left in our nursing relationship.  I am starting to have a tough time keeping up with the amount you eat throughout the day; you just started waking up in the middle of the night to eat more, and I know we are soclose to starting you on cereal.  Just promise me no matter how much you enjoy solid food, you will still enjoy nursing in the morning and evening.  This time with you is my favorite.  When I look back on this time of your life, I know it is the quiet times in the glider in your nursery that will make me the most nostalgic.  Let's just enjoy it while it lasts, shall we?

Of course, the majority of the moments with you have been wonderful, but they haven't all been pleasant.  We dealt with our fair share of screaming moments in the car in the past month, for one.  You really hate the car when Mama rides along.  It's like you just cannot understand why you can hear me, smell me, and see me, but I won't hold you.  We were hoping to take you to Neebish Island for Thanksgiving but aren't so sure it's worth it when a seven hour drive is considered.  We also fought (and survived) your first cold and are glad to have you healthy again.

All-in-all, your fourth month has been awesome to us.  To cap it off, the day you turned four months, you suddenly decided you wanted to roll over several times, and the day after you suddenly decided laying back in a car seat is for sissies and started trying to pull yourself to sitting.  It's amazing how quickly you are starting to learn.  I can only imagine how much I am going to have to document in your fifth month, and I can't wait to see what's in store next!

All the love in the world,
Mama

This entry was posted on Monday, October 8, 2012. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

One Response to “letters to lucy: 4 months”

  1. what a sweet post, Lauren! we must cherish these fleeting moments as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete